Car insurance can be expensive for a number of reasons, and it can often be difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to finding a cheaper level of cover. Many may ask themselves ‘when does car insurance get cheaper?’, in this article, we answer all your questions when it comes to cheap car insurance and what you can do to get your next quote down.
From getting a black box installed to adding friends and family to your policies, there are a number of ways you can reduce the costs of running a car.
What makes car insurance go down?
There are a plethora of reasons why your car insurance might fluctuate, here are just a few of the reasons why you may see a difference in your quotes:
- your age: Many car insurance companies will alter their quotes based on the age of the driver and how long you have been driving for. Young drivers who have been driving for 5 or more years often see the lowest rates.
- your experience and claims: Your quote may increase if you have to claim on your insurance after an accident or incident.
- your credit score: If you have a poor credit score, some companies may take that into consideration.
- the use of the car: If you are using your car for business, this may alter the price as opposed to you using it for leisure.
- the type of car: If you are driving a car with a large, sporty engine or a car that is at a higher risk of breaking down.
There are a number of ways you can help decrease your insurance and help lower the chances of it rising again.
- choosing a car that has a small engine, is reliable and has had no previous incidents and has regular services, this way you are decreasing the risk of an accident or claim.
- making sure that you don’t have to claim on the insurance, trying to avoid making any claims that are your fault.
- keeping your credit score at a good level.
- keeping your driving record clean and ensuring your driving history has no major claims that were your fault will help you pay monthly costs.
- searching around for the best quotes, don’t be afraid to ring around and compare prices, this cuts the cost.
Does my car affect my car insurance costs?
The type of vehicle you drive will have an effect on the cost of your insurance and the level of cover some companies may be willing to give you. There are a number of factors that companies take into consideration when analysing your vehicle:
- the age of your vehicle can fluctuate the cost of your insurance. Some companies will offer a new car discount to those with a brand new car. The older your car is, the more likely your insurance is to be higher.
- the make of your car will also come into consideration. Often the make of your vehicle will give signals to the value and safety of your car.
- the model, if your car is a base model with no modifications, it’ll probably be cheaper than a sportier version or one with modifications.
- the more safety features your car has, the better. Alarms, airbags and other additions will reduce your car insurance rate.
How long does it take for car insurance to go down after an accident?
Having an accident or being involved in an incident that requires you to claim will affect your insurance, and it can take up to five years for your policy to re-adjust. Companies will often increase rates if the claim was more than £2000 worth of damage to your car or the third parties vehicle.
Does car insurance go down when you are 18?
Depending on the insurance company you choose to get your cover from, there are a few stipulations as to when car insurance goes down and whether it dips at the age of 18. By the age of 18, most drivers have only been on the road for a year, so in the eyes of an insurer, you’re still a new and fairly inexperienced driver, meaning your insurance premiums will probably be higher.
Insurance will go down for 18-year-olds if they are either driving with a fitted black box or opt for a new driver insurance coverage. A number of pass plus and additional driving courses will also help young drivers looking to lower their premiums. By speaking to a number of insurance companies you will be able to work out the best way to get your costs down.
For those between the ages of 18 and 25, having to insure a car for a year whilst at university or college can be pricey. We offer learner driver and insurance for students, meaning your car only has to be insured as and when you wish to drive it.
Will a black box help my car insurance quotes go down?
A black box is a great way for new drivers to ensure they are driving safely and steadily, it’s also a less complicated way for younger drivers to find cheaper insurance quotes. Telematic boxes allow you to prove you’re a safe and sensible driver, which in-turn will reduce your premiums.
Add friends and family to your policy
One of the best ways to ensure you are getting the cheapest insurance is to look into cover with Dayinsure, day car insurance, weekly insurance and even monthly insurance are all available. Insuring your car or a hired car as and when you need it will allow you to monitor your usage and only have cover when you should need it. Find out more about our temporary insurance 24 hours a day via our website.